Talks coming up in spring 2018. Check this space in January for details.
Booking an Event
I’m generally available for author visits, readings, workshops, conferences and other kinds of events. If you’re interested in having me speak at your event, send me an email email@example.com with all the details, including suggested dates.
In the past I’ve presented at all kinds of events in Canada, the US, Japan, China, Indonesia, India, the United Kingdom and other locations. Those presentations have ranged from short 15 minute talks to full day workshops, so I’m probably able to fit into whatever your event requires. For events with younger audiences, I typically use a variety of images and props.
Please note that I have a fee for some presentations, but I’m flexible and will do whatever I can to try to help with your event. So, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. I look forward to hearing from you.
Skype (Virtual) Visits
If your group, association, school or business would prefer to book a virtual presentation, I am happy to cooperate. Virtual presentations generally run for the same amount of time as in-person presentations and conclude with a Q & A. A fee may apply.
Getting Ready for a Visit
I look forward to participating in your event! To make my visit a positive experience for everyone involved, here are a few things to think about:
- For school visits, I usually schedule a maximum of three presentations per day. If you’ve planned for more than that, please let me know in advance.
- I can speak to groups of any size. However, for younger audiences, smaller groups (less than 100) are preferred.
- I typically need a laptop computer and an LCD (data) projector to show images from one of my PowerPoint presentations. Of course, that means I’ll also need a screen (or a light coloured wall), projector stand or table, extension cord, etc.
- For larger groups, some kind of a PA system is required. The worst thing for an audience member at a spoken word event is if the speaker is hard to hear, so let’s make sure that doesn’t happen.
- Since I usually show images, a room that can be darkened is best. If the room has a lot of windows, please make sure they’re equipped with blinds or drapes (unless the presentation is after sunset).
- If books are required for an event, please let me know several weeks in advance. For larger events that require larger numbers of books, local booksellers will typically be interested in setting up a table and selling books.
- Audience members are welcome to bring books to be signed.
- For school presentations I don’t mind it if other teachers, parents, special guests or local media are invited.
That’s it. Nothing particularly complicated, but having everything ready makes for a better event. If you have any questions, please let me know firstname.lastname@example.org.